Friday, February 12, 2010

a tribute to my mom

My mom showed me the way on how to give random acts of kindness.  Her actions spoke volumes to me.  Her character has inspired me.  She would leave me little inspirational quotes when I was a brooding teenager.  I find them in my room, in my lunch and on the side door.  At her funeral, I closed my tribute to mom with the following quote:

to laugh often and much,
to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children,
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends,
to appreciate beauty,
to find the best in others,
to leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child, a garden patch...
to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.    Emerson

My mom touched more people than I will ever know as she was humble and did not want recognition for her acts. 
I am carrying on your work, mom.
Love you,
Greg

7 comments:

  1. Here's to your mom and to mine. They were the best of us. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. No greater calling than that of being a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have met your mom. I wish you could have met mine. Perhaps they met in the hereafter and are still sending encouragement to us. Would you share a photo with us as well sir?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well put. As her godchild, she never forgot my birthday or a special event in my life. Be, it happy or sad, I recieved a card with an encouraging note from her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Mother must have been very proud of you. She raised a beautiful person. Her reward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. miss her and think of Grandma all the time...wish she could have known my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to honor the memory of your mom Greg...

    ReplyDelete